2 Philadelphia police officers shot, 1 fatally at airport garage – US 247 News


PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Two Philadelphia police officers were shot late Thursday night at a Philadelphia International Airport parking garage, police said.

One of the officers did not survive. His body was escorted by police motorcycles to the city Medical Examiner’s Office early Friday morning. A procession up I-95 North brought the officer’s body to the Givnish Funeral Home on Academy Road in Northeast Philadelphia.

The other officer was in stable condition at Jefferson University Hospital.

Police motorcycles escort a fallen Philadelphia officer’s body to the Medical Examiner’s Office on Friday morning.

Chopper 3/CBS News Philadelphia

$30,000 reward available for information that will lead to an arrest

The Philadelphia FOP Lodge 5 and Delaware County FOP Lodge 27 are offering a $30,000 for information leading to an arrest.

“If you bring them in today, they’re paid today,” Lodge 5 President John McNesby said.

The shooting comes one week after three police officers were shot in Northeast Philadelphia after a domestic incident. All three of those officers have since been released from the hospital.

Shooting at Philadelphia International Airport garage

Thursday night, the two partner officers were starting their shift – one was in full uniform, and the other was in partial uniform – when they saw a group breaking into a vehicle in the garage, Interim Philadelphia Police Commissioner John Stanford said in a news conference early Friday morning.

When the officers approached the group, the group fired at the officers.

One officer was hit multiple times in the torso and did not survive. The other officer was shot in the arm.

It’s unclear if either of the officers fired their weapons in the incident. Sources say a gun from one of the officers is missing.

Police sources close to the investigation told CBS News Philadelphia’s Joe Holden there has been a rash of car break-ins and thefts from airport parking garages in recent weeks. Those sources say officers likely heard a window breaking before they confronted the suspects.

The investigation continues Friday.

Philadelphia police officer’s body arrives at funeral home

Was anyone arrested? Where are the suspects?

There were no arrests reported as of 6 am Friday.

Preliminary information shows the suspects may have fled in a Dodge Durango, but police are still working to confirm that.

Friday morning, a Durango arrived at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and dropped off an 18-year-old who had been shot, Stanford said. That teenager later died.

Police said it’s unclear if that person is involved in this shooting.

Who are the officers who were shot?

The officers’ identities have not been released.

The officer who was killed is 50 years old and served in the Philadelphia Police Department for 22 years, Stanford said. He worked with the 25th Police District before getting assigned to the airport.

That officer leaves behind a wife and one child.

McNesby said the officer “was a great guy, a great cop, really well respected.”

“He was a standout officer,” McNesby added. “You saw more tears in that emergency room than I’ve ever seen since in the years that I’ve been here.”

The 25th District in North Philadelphia is more active while the airport is often an assignment officers take on later in their career, McNesby said.

“It’s a place where you’re supposed to be winding down your career, and here they’re shot coming to work,” McNesby added.

The other officer is 60 years old and has 20 years of experience with the department.

“Anger, devastation and heartbreak are the emotions. One officer gave his life tonight and one is recovering. Please wrap your arms and prayers around their families and our department. We will continue our search for those responsible and won’t stop until all are in custody,” Commissioner Stanford said on Twitter.

Procession brings officer’s body to funeral home

A police escort brought the fallen officer from the medical examiner’s office to the John F. Givnish Funeral Home on Academy Road in Northeast Philadelphia on Friday morning.

Officers went up I-95 North before arriving at the funeral home.

Philadelphia police take fallen officer’s body to funeral home

2 officers injured in crash en route to shooting scene

Two other Philadelphia police officers were injured in a crash while trying to get to the shooting scene at the airport. The crash happened at 48th Street and Baltimore Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia.

There is no word on the officers’ conditions or what led to the crash.

State Fraternal Order of Police releases statement on death of officer

Fraternal Order of Police State Lodge President Joseph Regan sent a statement on the shooting.

“We lost a hero today. Our deepest condolences go out to the officer’s loved ones during this difficult time,” Regan said. “We stand together with the Philadelphia Police Department and FOP Lodge 5 in honoring this hero’s sacrifice and praying for the full recovery of the injured officer.”

Philadelphia leaders, Gov. Shapiro shares statements on shooting

“Heartbroken by the tragic loss of a @PhillyPolice officer,” Major Jim Kenney wrote on X on Friday. “My thoughts are with their family, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time, and I pray for the second officer’s swift recovery.”

District Attorney Larry Krasner sent a statement mentioning the high number of guns in the US

“Law enforcement across multiple agencies are working continuously to identify those responsible — without the ability to quickly match ballistics on scene to a firearm that can be traced via database to point of regulated sale and owner, all because gun-crazy politicians serve the NRA’s bloody agenda instead of serving and protecting the public,” Krasner’s statement said. “America has more guns than people, thanks to the same gun-crazy politicians who oppose commonsense gun regulations.”

Philadelphia police provide update after shooting at PHL

Krasner added that “Police go to work every day knowing they could at any moment encounter someone who has no business holding a gun, has a gun anyway, and is willing to fire upon others for no reason at all.”

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said he and First Lady Lori Shapiro are praying for the officer’s family and the department.

Airport releases statement after shooting in Terminal D/E garage

The shooting temporarily closed Terminal D but it has since reopened.

Some SEPTA bus routes were bypassing the airport after the shooting. SEPTA routes are now back on schedule.

A spokesperson for the airport released a statement Friday mourning the officers and asking for anyone with information to call the police tipline.

Philadelphia International Airport is safe and open for passengers and staff this morning. We join the City of Philadelphia and our region in mourning the loss of one Philadelphia Police Airport Division officer and keep his loved ones and colleagues in our prayers. Our thoughts are also with the injured officer. This is an ongoing police investigation and we encourage anyone with information to please call or text 215-686-TIPS(8477). You can remain anonymous.